How I wish to change my life?
The past week had been pretty busy. To accompany this line, I would also like to say that I feel like I spend way too much time on my laptop (feeling busy) but not getting too much done correspondingly! :-(
I want a change
It’s time now — I am not gonna let this cut down my productivity, I will have to learn time management, and to make sure that this happens, I am gonna experiment some major changes in my routine.
- Getting back to books again - I have started listening to the book: Happiness of Pursuit Recently, an article from Max Deutsch caught my eye — (How to build a self driving car in one month) —which lead me to follow most of his work and to this book. This guy amazes me in every way possible — He reads books (a lot), He blogs (a lot) in a lot detail about everything he does, He cycles, He programs, He follows his passion (a lot). I also have gotten the book: Peak — Secrets from the new Science of Expertise. It’s in my listening list as well. Learning
- Learning how to learn — started this course. I always wanted to do this course, but never found time for this. It’s amongst my top priorities now. Documenting
- Blogging - Blogging helps me to introspect my activities, so I will be changing my blogging habits, though I want to achieve one blog/day,I will be aiming at one blog every 2 days for now. Also, inspired by Max Deutsch! I find his blog to be an unending source of knowledge, practical experience and inspiration. Thank You Max Deutsch
- Challenging my limits -
I will take M2M (Month to Master) challenge this year.
According to Max, M2M is:
I will spend the next year trying to master twelve expert-level skills — devoting one month to each skill and writing daily about the process. I’m calling the project Month to Master (M2M).
I haven’t thought of challenges as per, but you will most likely hear about it my next post.
Now, coming back to past days — the reason~s~ behind these developments: my to-do list had been accumulating ever since starting of this month. It feels like I don’t have enough time, but now, when I think of it - I have had enough time! Everything I had in there fell more or less in one of the following topics:
- Running StackGen Reference: https://github.com/hanzhanggit/StackGAN A neural network which converts text -> images. You just need to write the description and you would have an image prepared. How cool is that!! One of my seniors showed me their video, since then, I was tempted to make this thing work on my machine and see by myself. I spent nearly 6 hours trying to make it work in every possible way, but since my computer doesn’t have a NVIDIA chip, it won’t run CUDA and hence this didn’t run. But still, I learned many things in the process. :-)
- coala Getting back on coala Reference: https://coala.io I am selected with coala for Google Summer of Code 2017. Though, I am keeping up with my schedule, I have some PR’s which were abandoned since I had been busy with exams and then, other stuff. I stated working on one of them, and man, rebasing it was quite hard, especially when one tries to rebase coala with a remote upstream pointing towards coala-bears ;) — Since, I was getting a lot of conflicts, I even wrote a script for skipping patches ;P. I noticed the mistake after digging for 30 mins. That was one hell of a facepalm moment. vulture
- Hacking on vulture — https://github.com/jendrikseipp/vulture I have some issues pending, but I am pretty sure I can catch up on them. I have had already done a pretty good amount of research. todoman
- Configuring todoman — https://github.com/pimutils/todoman todoman is a simple command line todo list manager, I have been using it for few months now and it’s pretty great. I am also trying to contribute to it. After I changed my machine, I wasn’t able to color-code my lists, at first, thought I was doing something wrong, but after re-checking, I finally posted an issue — In fact, while writing this, I tried to open it in iTerm2 (to which I switched today ). it’s all colourful and I am happy again. :-)
- Helping my friend setting up her website
- My best friend has been trying to contribute to coala. I had been helping her. She is doing pretty great!
- Shutting Down my computer — I haven’t ever shut it down since it came! ;)
What I think I did wrong was that I took up all these tasks simultaneously which resulted in a lot of chaos. I found more and more interesting things to do ( A different post ) — It was overwhelming. At a time, I had had more than 100 tabs opened in over 4 windows.
Then, I got up at 3PM today (I slept at 7 AM), and since then doing a clean up — reading/replying to all the emails. and closing all the tabs. After 12 hrs of deliberate work, I am trying to get things done. :-)
What to expect in my next post?
- My study plan for this summer
- M2M challenges I would like to take up
- A list of interested things I want to do
PS: My spacebar seems a bit weird sometimes :/ , I suspect this might be because of: The posture in which I work sometimes A manufacturing defect I am just skeptical ;p I am on a macbook air, if anyone has had any such experience, please share! ;-)